The Shala is proud to offer the only Ashtanga Yoga teacher training in Atlantic Canada. Hart Lazer has been training teachers for over 25 years and is widely regarded as one of the foremost experts in the field. A the Shala he will focus his talents and experience on teaching the methodology of the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga system. Assisted by Seth Daley and Dr. Angie Birt, this will be a rare opportunity to study with Hart, specifically in the area of Ashtanga Yoga.
During this training students will learn:
- The poses in the primary series of Ashtanga yoga such that an in-depth understanding is acquired.
- How to break down advanced and challenging poses into manageable (and teachable) parts.
- Effective adjustments and assists that enhance and deepen practice.
- How to use props effectively within the Ashtanga system.
- How to teach a class in the Mysore style of assisted self-practice.
- How to teach vinyasa karma (counted vinyasa) method.
- How to modify challenging poses during a led class, and how to use preparatory postures to move a student through difficult areas.
- How to maintain a personal practice that informs your teaching
- How to safely and effectively handle common injuries.
- How to adapt the series to fit each individual in class, regardless of flexibility, strength, injury, age or understanding.
Through various teaching methods (small group work, practice teaching, peer teaching, homework assignments, and practical/theory testing) students will create a good foundation in:
- Teaching skills
- Effective verbal communication
- Proper demonstration skills
- Observing, correcting, assisting, adjusting
- Dealing with common injuries.
- Class management